1 a large digital computer serving 100-400 users and occupying a special air-conditioned room [syn: mainframe computer]
2 (computer science) the part of a computer (a microprocessor chip) that does most of the data processing; the CPU and the memory form the central part of a computer to which the peripherals are attached [syn: central processing unit, CPU, C.P.U., central processor, processor]
Mainframe may refer to one of the following:
- Mainframe computer, large data processing systems
- Mainframe Entertainment, a Canadian computer animation and design company.
- Mainframe is the city that the CGI cartoon ReBoot takes place in.
- Mainframe (band), a 1980s Electropop band
- Mainframe is the name of two fictional characters from Marvel Comics
- Mainframe (Transformers) is An Autobot character in the Transformers series.
- A character in the G.I. Joe universe.
- A character from the game Gunman Chronicles.